Monday, February 13, 2012

Bridgton Sweeps Rothesay Netherwood

Bridgton Academy took to the ice for a pair of games against Rothesay Netherwood this weekend. Right away in game one, Bridgton came out on fire. In the first period, Tommy Graham (Medfield, MA) capitalized on a power play with a well placed wrist shot to beat the goalie on the side and take a 1-0 lead. Later in the first period, Colin Edwards (Winchester, MA) took his time to move the puck in front of the goalie and fire a shot for Bridgton's second goal of the game with assists from John Sartell (Wakefield, MA) and Graham. Marco Spisso (Highland Falls, NY) extended the lead before the end of the period as Barry O'Neil (Falmouth, MA) fed Spisso a pass for a shorthanded breakaway. Spisso beat the goalie to score and take a 3-0 lead going into the second period. Jimmy Magrath (Medfield, MA) did not waste any time in the second period before scoring the fourth and final goal for Bridgton Academy as the puck trickled over the line to secure the win. Rothesay never gave up scoring two goals on power plays, but was not able to secure a comeback as Bridgton took the 4-2 win.

In the second game, Bridgton was the first to score again. Billy Boudreau (Newburyport, MA) capitalized on a feed from Edwards to take a 1-0 lead. It was not long however, before Rothesay answered back to tie things up. On Bridgon's next rush down the ice it seemed as if Bridgton would take back the lead as Mike Marchionda (Hyde Park, MA) ripped a shot that hit the cross bar. Just a few minuted later Silas Rainville (Franklin, MA) set up Marchionda to score a shorthanded goal, this time taking a 2-1 lead. Edwards netted another goal to increase the lead with an assist from Magrath. After taking a penalty, Rothesay was prepared to take advantage of Bridgton's man down disadvantage. Kevin Seeley (Berkely, MA) broke the puck out of the defensive zone to set up Rainville who scored the fourth goal of the game for Bridgton. Rothesay was able to net one more goal, and down 4-2 with under a minute left in the game they pulled their goalie in an attempt to tie up the game. Rothesay attempted to break the puck out of the zone, but Edwards collected the puck and put away an empty netter to secure the 5-2 win.

No comments: