Thursday, September 24, 2009

Player Profile: Kyle O'Connell

Kyle O'Connell
6'0"
190lbs
Bridgewater, MA




Bridgton Academy: How did you hear about Bridgton Academy?
Kyle O’Connell:
Coach Meserve called me up, told me about the program and the school, I was interested, talked with my high school coach Mark Jones, he had heard of Bridgton, and said it was something I should do.

BA: What do you hope to get out of this year at BA academically?
KO:
I want to improve my grades, SAT scores, and study habits so I will be ready for college. All the teachers are here to get the best out of you, and with the smaller classes I am able to interact and work 1-on-1 with them, instead of having to wait for 30 students to ask questions.

BA: What do you hope to get out of this year at BA athletically?
KO:
I want to develop as an overall player, have a good year both as a player and as a team. This year can set me up to play right away in college.

BA: Which colleges have you looked at/ are you interested in?
KO:
I don’t have any set colleges, I am keeping my options open because I want to find a place where I can play. I don’t want to limit myself to one school and then not get in there and be left with nothing.

BA: Who is your biggest role model?
KO:
My mother, she has always been there for me, pushing me and trying to get the best out of me. My brother Ryan, and sister Shae, have also been there to support me and help me.

BA: Where do you see yourself in five years?
KO:
Not playing hockey, not in the show. Hopefully still involved in hockey though, as the head coach at my former high school, Bridgewater-Raynham, and also teaching there.

BA: What does it mean to be a Wolverine?
KO:
It’s a chance to be part of a select few that get to go through with an extra year of school and sports, before continuing on with the goal of college, and going further in college than you would have without the year.

BA: What are you most looking forward to this year?
KO:
I am looking forward to getting better grades which will allow me to get to the next level in hockey.

BA: What is your favorite class you are taking right now?
KO:
Statistics with Mr. Gately.

BA: What is your most challenging class?
KO:
Political Science with Mr. Lesure, because there are so many angles to the government.

BA: What is your favorite sports memory that you have been involved in?
KO:
Winning my school’s first ever state tournament hockey games in ’08. We also had the best record in school history: 15-6-1.

BA: What is your favorite sports memory that you have not been a part of?
KO:
2004 when the Red Sox won four straight from the Yankees and then went on to sweep the Cardinals and win the World Series.

BA: Do you have any pregame rituals?
KO:
Nothing major, I usually drink a monster energy drink before games and have a Reese’s.

BA: What do you listen to for music?
KO:
Everything, rap, rock, country… some country. Before games I like to relax and calm my nerves, so I will listen to music that is more laid back.

BA: Do you have any other hobbies or interesting facts about yourself:
KO:
I like playing card games, poker mostly; I played football in high school so I get together with friends at home and play.

No comments: